I recently became tired of my living room wall sconces and decided to switch them up a bit. The old ones were chipped and outdated. So instead of buying all new sconces, I decided to make my own out of mason jars I had collected.
Anyone can make them… It was super easy and they turned out great!
To make these super-easy Hanging Mason Jar Vases, you will need:
- 1 glass mason jar
- 1 votive candle
- a handful of glass pebbles
- craft wire (about 22 gauge or heavier)
- wire cutters and needle-nose pliers
- (Optional) seed beads
- (Optional) thin craft wire (24 gauge or lighter)
Then I wrapped the heavier gauge craft wire around the mouth of the jar and created two loops directly across on each side. I made sure that the loops were wrapped well, creating a strong enough hold that the jar would not slide out once it was hung. I then snipped off any excess pieces.
Then I took another piece of the heavy gauge wire and created my “handle” from with the jar would hang from. I measured it so that it would hang where I would want it to and then added an inch or so on each end. I then wrapped the wire securely to the other piece of wire around the mouth of the jar. You can see here how the two came together:
Once I did that on both sides, it was ready to hang. However, I wanted to add a bit of color to the jar, so I created a beaded vine by using the light gauge wire and seed beads and twisting them into little clusters that somewhat resemble a vine of flowers.
I then wrapped the vine around the existing “handle”.
The end result was just the look I wanted! And the whole process took me about an hour to complete.
Here are a few ideas to expand on this craft:
- Change the color of the votive candles or the glass pebbles to add even more color.
- Change up the beaded vine as well or add more to make the vine look fuller.
- Take the candles out and add fresh flowers in the spring.
- Hang several jars from ceiling hooks above a window.
- Hang outdoors on porches or around a garden and use citronella candles to keep the bugs away.
The possibilities are endless!